Irondale Real Estate Information
On the 5th of October, 1887, twenty eight residents of a diminutive railroad/mining area just outside of Birmingham petitioned for it to be incorporated. A vote took place on the 19th of October, the same year, Irondale became an official part of Birmingham after a vote on the 17th had passed in their favor, with 32 for the incorporation and 6 against it. The city's limits were extended by half a mile in all directions, and Irondale which had consisted of only 4 blocks originally started to grow into the city it is now.
The small town was named after a furnace to the west of what are now Irondale's city limits. The furnace, built by Mr W. McElwain of Mississippi in 1863, was originally called the Cahaba Iron Works, however the locals always referred to it as the "Irondale Furnace".
It was used in the production of pig iron, which was then moved using oxcart to Montevallo before being delivered via the railways to be turned into munitions in Selma for the Confederate Army. All the ore used in the furnace came from Red Mountain, until it was destroyed in March, 1865, by Wilson's Raiders during the War Between States.
Irondale is situated in a valley with Cahaba Mountain to its south and Red Mountain to its north. Both Indians and pioneers used the red rocks, on Red Mountain, for different reasons. The Indians painted their faces, while the pioneers dyed their clothes. The mountain was once also used by the Indians as a ceremonial park, largely due to it's many streams and clear springs.
It is thought that settlers started moving into Jones Valley in 1816, and this saw the town of Irondale experience it's first true growth. The first piece of land bought in Irondale after it's incorporation was purchased in 1821. By the end of 1887 Mr Montgomery owned the majority of land in the area and resided in a log house which in now located on what has become 2nd Avenue.
By the 1st of January, 1888, Irondale had somewhere around fifty people residing in it's town along with twelve businesses. It's first post office was set up in 1872, on the 2nd of June, although it ceased to provide service as of December, 1875, right up until the beginning of 1883 when it was reestablished. By 1888 Irondale also boasted it's own lumber company and three restaurants.
Since then Irondale has continued to grow, and today it has a reputation for ideal living conditions. It has three elementary schools, a community college, as well as Shades Valley High School, which was established in 1996.
There are now also several banks, shopping centers and food stores that are easily as good as those in many big cities. With a police station, fire station, clean streets, a public library and numerous public parks Irondale has earned itself a reputation as an ideal place to live.